BUSINESS VISITOR VISA INFORMATION (General Guide Only)
All travellers to Australia must have a valid visa before boarding their plane; they cannot apply for a visa on arrival. (NB: The only exception is New Zealand and Norfolk Island passport holders who will be issued a visa on arrival in Australia and normally do not need to lodge a visa application prior to their departure, unless there are character or health concerns).
Participants require either:
- a Short Validity Business ETA or
- a Business (Short Stay) Visa (including those holding diplomatic passports).
These visas are intended for visits of up to 3 months.
Subclass 977 - Business (Short Validity) ETA (Electronic Travel Authority)
For Passport holders from one of these countries:
- Hong Kong (SAR)
- San Marino
- South Korea
- Taiwan *
- UK **
- Vatican City
* Taiwan passport holders can be processed for and ETA only if resident in and applying in Taiwan.
** UK (British national Overseas) passport holders can apply for an ETA online if resident in and applying in Hong Kong (SAR)
You can apply for an ETA:
- Available via the internet at http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ (in most cases online visa processing takes 20 minutes with an internet service charge of AUD $20.00)
- Also available through participating airlines & travel agents overseas (service chare may apply)
- No stamp or label in the passport
Please note that, in some instances, ETA is not automatically granted and you may be referred to the nearest Australian visa office of your current place of residence.
Subclass 456 - Business (Short Stay) Visa
For participants not from an ETA country, you should apply for a subclass 456 visa:
- You are advised to apply for a visa at least 4-6 weeks in advance of your intended date of travel.
- Complete application form 456
- Apply at an Australian overseas visa office
- Issued as a label into your passport
With the comptetee form 456, you must also include:
- Your valid passport (which must be valid for the duration of your visit)
- Visa Application Charge of AUD$75.00 (free for European Union Member States)
- Details of how you want your passport returned enclosing a self-addressed stamped envelope
You can obtain the form fro the subclass 456 from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship's website: www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/456.pdf
Children under 18 years of age who are travelling on their own will need a Tourist Visa (Subclass 676). All children must include a consent form signed by the non-accompanying parent/s or legal gauardian/s if the child is travelling :
- with only one parent or legal guardian
You can obtain the consent form from www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1229.pdf
All visa applicants must demonstrate that they meet all legislative requirements for a visa grant.
Health Requirements: Please be aware that you may be asked to undergo medical and/or x-ray examination - www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1163i.pdf
Bringing family members, guests and friends
- If you are from an ETA eligible country: apply for a visitor ETA (subclass 976) via the Department of Immigration and Citizenship's website http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ or through participating airlines & travel agents overseas.
- If you are not from an ETA eligible country: spouse and unmarried dependent children may be included in the subclass 456 visa application. guests and friends may apply for a Tourist Visa (subclass 676) You can obtain the form via the Department of Immigration and Citizenship's website at www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/676/apply-person.htm